I have just finished an early alpha version of the tool, called “SG2D script editor”, which will be used to generate the Python script used to drive the engine.
The tool currently has the following features: -
- Node-graph editor similar to Blender’s node editor, Unreal Engine 4’s Blueprint editor, etc.
- Ability to add custom functions
- Multiple game states which all build to custom classes
- A set of basic language nodes which allow for general Python scripting
- A set of engine-specific nodes providing a simple interface to the engine
- Colour coding for readability
- Pan and zoom controls
- Loading and saving of networks
- The ability to run and test the script with the SG2D engine and to view the output
Here’s a video of the tool in action: -
There’s still a lot of work to do, so watch this space for more updates soon!